A lot of people in business are all rather serious & believe fun & laughter is not appropriate for the workplace and that we must act as adults all the time.
The number of times I’ve walked into an office and everyone is so serious it’s unreal, this radiates into all areas of the office and didn’t make a very nice welcome!! A little bit of light hearted fun can go a long way to give a friendly welcome.
But I think they are wrong, when people are doing something they enjoy then fun & laughter happens naturally & actually this is good for our health!
7 Benefits of Smiling and Laughing – Taken from Life Hack’s website
1. Neurotransmitters called endorphins are released when you smile.
Endorphins are responsible for making us feel happy, and they also help lower stress levels.
2. Endorphins make us feel happier and less stressed.
They also act as the body’s natural pain killers.
3. While the release of endorphins is increased, the stress hormone cortisol is reduced.
Cortisol is more active when we feel stressed or anxious and contributes to the unpleasant feelings we experience, and by lowering it we can reduce these negative feelings.
4. Laughing expands the lungs, stretches the muscles in the body and stimulates homeostasis.
This exercises the body, replenishing the cells from a lungful of oxygen and gaining all the benefits of exercising the body.
5. A good laugh can be an effective way to release emotions.
A good laugh can help you release emotions, especially those emotions that you might bottle up inside.
6. Smiling is an attractive expression, which is more likely to draw people to you rather than push them away.
Smiling makes you appear more approachable. Interaction with others is easier and more enjoyable when smiles and laughs are shared, and these behaviours are contagious, making others feel better too.
7. A happy, positive expression will serve you well in life.
This is particularly true for challenging situations such as job interviews: a smiling, relaxed persona indicates confidence and an ability to cope well in stressful situations.
Creating a positive & happy culture is a great way to improve wellbeing of you staff, help with staff retention as well as improving productivity and creativity.
Also, being child-like & playing can help people to unlock their creative side & potential.
There are loads of way to have fun at work, here are a few ideas:
- Weekly challenges for staff
- Buzz word bingo
- Weekly YouTube clips
- Team building
- Games corner
- Weekly joke competition
- Dress down days or costume days
- Theme days/weeks
- Get creative & do some crafting or have a creative thinking session
The list is endless but go on, give some of these ideas a try!! I’d love to hear how you make the day go faster in your workplace!!
Would you like to know how you rate? Why not book here for a no-obligation wheel of wellbeing, culture & performance audit.